January/February cover of American Libraries
Have you seen the cover of the new issue of American Libraries?
Hmmm... I'm all for self promotion but this offends my delicate sensibilities.
How about other self serving magazine covers:
- Sports Illustrated: "We like sports! Our readers agree"
- JAMA: "Doctors like medicine. Patients everywhere finally fill prescriptions"
- The Art of Knitting: "Knitting, voted best way to make a scarf"
- Good Housekeeping: "Food voted best for eating, details inside"
- PC Computing: "Computers best way to do computing, read the research on page 10"
The cover is referring to an article about a study conducted by the Library Research Service at Colorado State Library which:
conducted a survey to check current library professionals' predictions for the future of the paper book. It's probably no surprise that respondents throught the trend would be toward electronic formats. But for a variety of reasons, paper books refuse to die a quiet death.
Don't get me wrong. I really like American Libraries, it's up to date, delivers a great snapshot of the state of the Library, and is put together well. I just... I'm not sure... this cover just gets at me. Don't even get me started about the pseduo-hipster cover girl. Angela called from "Who's the Boss" called, she wants her shtick back.