Grad School Round Two: This time it's personal (Sabbatical Part 5)
Tomorrow I start grad school again. This time for serious & as an old man.
When last we met I had mentioned that sabbatical plans changed a bit based on a secondment. The sabbatical will start now September 2015. In the mean time my plans with grad school marchs on. My advisor suggested I attempt my course work ahead of the actual year off. So the plan is one class in Fall term (COSC 5P02) one class in Winter term (COSC 5P71) one class in Summer and one next Fall. Then thesis fun time all the time. At the conclusion of my year off (ie August 2016) I'll have a good portion of it finished. I defend when ready and then it gets added to the repository. Genetic Algorithms are a big area of research at Brock COSC and my work will be in that field, particularly using GAs to analyze cryptographic systems. That's the plan now anyway, let's see how far I end drift from that. I'm even reading Cryptonomicon to really imerse myself in crypto. Plus I'm calling it 'crypto' like I know what that means.
Yeah and to increase my cred too
I've noticied some random stuff as I go through this process:
- I'm pysched/scared/enthusiastic all at the same time
- Students get really bad email treatment (Horde which seems to be very churny)
- No one tells you to opt out of the Health Plan
- A tuition wavier is the best perk/staff discount ever
- Doing school 'cause you want to makes it very different then doing school if you have to
- I'm probably going to be the keen 'mature' student in class that I used to hate. What delicious ironing
Getting my MLIS was great, don't get me wrong. Going through this process I feel like I'm truly going to be dogfooding. I think I'll grow a little more attached to MPOW as well. Being alumni somewhere is different then just working there. (However I'll always bleed purple)
Lecture starts early tomorrow. Wish me luck.